Friday, November 19, 2010

Melbourne Pre-Wedding Photoshoot gown alterations and possibly finding my actual day Wedding gown.

I bought my pre-shoot(engagement) gown from the Bridal & Couture Sample held at the Bayview Eden Hotel in July. As in most Asian cultures, couples actually dress up in wedding gowns and suits to take photos before the actual wedding. This is so that the photos will be ready and printed in time for an album to be displayed at the reception place for guests to view.

Though Photography Studios here are slowly starting to introduce Engagement Shoots, it is still not something that is commonly done and Melbourne. But we still chose to go ahead with the culture with pre-shoots in Melbourne, Malaysia and possibly Singapore. ;) To save money, our pre-shoot in Melbourne will be done by friends James and Weichao.


The super long gown when I first tried it on at the sale - got it for $400. It was literally sweeping the floor and I wasn't a fan of the body-hugging design down to the hips.

First alteration was done at Be A Star Bridal. The shop didn't do a good job. My gown turned out to be too short in the front and the seams at the back weren't even/symmetrical with the front.

I intend to put a coloured ribbon around from the back to the front and so I tied a thin ribbon round, took a photo, and made it thicker in Photoshop to see how it looked.

After being happy at how thick the ribbon should be, Mum and I went to Spotlight to get a thicker piece of cloth and Mum sewed on sequins and beads to personalise it.

The problem started when we found out the front and back seams of the gown weren't even/symmetrical. We realised then the bridal shop had done a bad job in the alterations. A plastic strip was also poking out from the right side near the hips. The gown thus needed more alterations done as well as getting the ribbon sewn on it properly.

On one of the off days I took to spend time with mum before she went back Malaysia, we visited Nifi Bridal in Oakleigh. I just intended to browse around when I tried on this really gorgeous strapless gown with laces and embroidery. It didn't really seemed my type until I tried it on and it fitted perfectly. All it needed was alterations for the length a little.

At that moment, it felt like the gown was "the one" for my actual day and I hastily put a $200 deposit on it. About a week later, I was having second thoughts because our wedding was still about a year away and I probably have time to look at other places. But I guess I have been pretty good in not being impulsive and putting deposit on the first shop I visited in April! The $200 is still sitting there awaiting my decision as they need at least 50% deposit in order to make an order for the gown.

In any case, the lady at the shop also recommended a seamstress they use who was in Clarinda, pretty near our place. This seamstress operated from home and her work certainly looked much better. She was also very helpful and knowledgeable in recommending what needs to be done to alter the gown properly and to fit the ribbon. I felt more comforable this time leaving the gown to her.

Edit 08/12 - I have gone back for a first fitting since then and am very much looking forward to collect my gown after the 25th of Jan when she returns from holidays. :)

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Useful information shared. I am very happy to read this article. Thanks for giving us nice info. Fantastic walk through. I appreciate this post.
Korea pre wedding photoshoot

Post a Comment